- Pump Frequently. For almost every mother the more you pump the more milk your body with make. If you want to increase your supply, try to pump 8-12 times per day.
- Drain your breasts. It is important to completely drain your breasts at each session. You can do this by pumping 1-2 minutes past your last drop of milk.
- Breast massages. While you're pumping massage and gently press on your breast, it will help you get all the milk out. Be sure to massage all your ducts and glands - even near your armpit.
- Pump right after your baby nurses. This tells your breasts they need to make more milk. I should mention especially in the first 8-12 weeks this can sometimes lead to overproduction, so if you plan to mainly nurse don't pump for very long.
- Protien Shakes. I love the Special K protien shakes & would have one every couple days to boost my supply.
- Perscriptions & herbal supplements. If you're having milk supply troubles talk with your lactation consultant or doctor about other prescription and herbal options you may have including: Reglan, Domperidone, or fenugreek.
Here are some tips & tricks for increasing your supply. Try them all out, you never know if one might work wonders for your milk supply!
Exclusively Pumping Blog
for those who choose to pump exclusively or pump because they can't breastfeed...this blog is for you!